Assessing the quality of care of any managed care facility can be difficult undertaking. Location of the facility and available insurance coverage can sometimes restrict the options open to a future resident, but most managed care facilities have a few items in common that can be evaluated in order to make an informed decision.
11 Tips for Evaluating a Potential Managed Care Facility
- How accommodating is the facility during your initial “tour”? Did staff provide useful answers and was information volunteered and shared freely?
- What do other residents have to say about the facility? (Be sure to speak with at least a few residents, alone or one-on-one, if at all possible)
- What do staff members say about the facility? (Talk to a few staff members at random, tune into their tone and attitude, not just their words.)
- Are the facility’s current residents in a similar age range as the patient?
- How many beds are in the facility and what is the staff to resident ratio?
- Does the facility possess any noteworthy certifications or accreditations? Examples: Commission on the Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations (CARF), Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations (JCAHO)
- Are there any complaints registered against the facility with the Florida AHCA or DCF?
- Has the facility ever been cited for patient care violations abuse or neglect by the AHCA?
- Are multiple therapy options available to residents? Example: animal-assisted therapy, art therapy, group outings/day trips
- How often and how long does a patient receive treatment from center specialist each day? (Individual daily treatment should target a minimum of 3 hours per day for patients requiring injury rehabilitation and 4 hours per day for nursing homes)
- Does the facility take extra measures to facilitate and encourage family member involvement and injury education?
AHCA – http://ahca.myflorida.com/executive/communications/public_records.shtml
AHCA – Nursing Home Guide and Watchlist – http://apps.ahca.myflorida.com/NHCGuide/
FL DCF – http://www.myflfamilies.com/